This year The Academy Awards® is celebrating 90 years. The Governors Ball is pulling out the very best for the years celebrity party. Wolfgang Puck, his 24th year catering this party, and his catering company will bring the best in food, entertainment, and ascetics for the best in the film industry. His goal with each event he caters is, “revolutionized the dining landscape with a singular focus: to exceed expectations whenever our guests gather for a meal.”
This year’s menu brings some favorites back and new experiences. His menu is set to meet everyone’s pallet and needs. You can recreate some of the items for your own party click here and here. The menu includes:
- Parmesan Bread Sticks
- Everything Bagel Pretzel Bite, Scamorza Cream Cheese, Tomato Confit
- Aged Vermont Cheddar Cheese
- Aged Parmesan Cheese
- Candied Spiced Mixed Nuts, Pineapple
- Dried Fruit
- Apricot Macadamia Nut Lavosh
Passed Hors d’Oeuvre
- Edamame and Black Truffle Pot Stickers (V)
- Miyazaki Wagyu Beef Tartare, Puffed Black Rice, Togarashi
- * Of the 28,000 Japanese Black cattle handled by JA Miyazaki, only 18,000 meet the criteria to become Miyazaki Wagyu.
- Tiny Taro Taco, Spiced Eggplant, Lime Pickle (V)
- Smoked Salmon Oscars
- Miniature Wagyu Burger with Sharp Cheddar and Remoulade
- Signature Pizzas
- Spicy Tuna Tartare in Sesame Miso Cones
- Crab Stuffed Hibiscus, Lemon, Pomegranate
- Explosion of Rhubarb, Thai Flavors (V)
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts, Pea Shoots, Mezze Flavors (V)
- Frozen Beets, Ginger Milk Curd, Yuzu, Ice Lettuce
- Asparagus, Shiro Miso, Watercress, Cherry Tomatoes, Sancho Pepper (V)
- White Asparagus Soup, Caviar, Yukon Potato Croutons
- Potato Caviar 2.0
- Black Truffle Chicken Pot Pie
- Winter Truffle Baked Cavatappi and Cheese
- Mini Pea and Carrot Ravioli, Black Truffle, Cipollini Onions
- Miyazaki Wagyu Beef, Forbidden Black Rice, Crunchy Red Beets, Char Siu Cabbage
- Black Bass, Eggplant, Salsa Verde, Teardrop Peppers
- Housemade Spinach Campanelle, English Peas, Cipollini Onions, Roasted Tomatoes (V) (V) – Vegan
- Spicy Tuna, California, and Vegetable Rolls
- Made-to-Order Nigiri
- Scallop Crudo, Blood Orange, Finger Lime, Lovage
- Sea Urchin, Egg, Dashi Ikura
- Caviar Parfait with 24k Gold
- Oysters on the Half Shell
- Snow Crab Claws
- King Crab Legs
Pastries & Chocolate
- Caramel-Passion Fruit Oscars Lollipops
- Mango-Lime Pate a Fruit with Tajin Pop
- Marjolaine Cake Pop
- Passion Fruit Meringue Lollipop
- Pistachio Raspberry Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Brownies
- Coconut Macaroons
- Cocktail Inspired Macarons
- Negroni-Orange, Campari, Vermouth,
- Gin Mojito-Lime, White Rum
- Piña Colada-Pineapple, Malibu Rum
- Individual Blueberry-Violet Entremets Cake
- Vegan Carrot Cupcake with Vegan Cream Cheese
- Gianduja Cupcake
- Lychee-Rose-Raspberry Tart
- Pineapple Upside-Down Verrine
- Housemade Chocolate Bonbons
- Lemon Cheesecake
- Pecan Pie
- Raspberry Pate a Fruit, Vanilla Ganache
- York Peppermint
- Kumquat Pimm’s
Vegan Items (without Gluten)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich
- Coconut Vegan Cupcake
- Walnut Chocolate Cookies
Passed Small Desserts
- Ruby Chocolate Strawberry and Cream
- strawberry-hibiscus mousse, strawberry compote, vanilla sponge,
- mascarpone cream, Callebaut Ruby chocolate
- *Wolfgang Puck Catering is the first company in the U.S. to utilize and serve this new, fully sustainable, naturally colored, varietal of chocolate
- Key Lime Meringue Cheesecake Taco
- key lime cheesecake, graham cracker, white chocolate shell, toasted meringue
- Mocha Beehive
- salted sable Breton, dark chocolate Rocher shell, liquid honey ganache, mocha mascarpone mousse
- Tropical Halo-Halo
- coconut tapioca pudding, exotic fresh fruits, acai granita
Made to Order
- Mille Crepe Cake, Caramel, Chocolate, Raspberry Filling
- Cinnamon Sugar Beignets Topped with Caramel
- Hibiscus Kombucha Carbonated to Order
The menu is taking a close look at keeping seafood that Seafood Watch compliant and locally sourced ingredients from:
- A Casas Farms
- Babe Farms
- Best Oriental Produce
- Chino Valley Ranchers cage free eggs
- Coke Farms
- County Line Harvest
- Fruition Sales
- Harry’s Berries
- Ocean Mist
- Pasturebird Farms
- Pudwill Farms
- Rising C Ranch specialty citrus
- Straus Dairy
- Times Produce
- Weiser Family Farms
The staff of 300 hundred begins preparing days in advance to serve the large crowd with the best food that remains the same from guest to guest. Just a few of the items used to create this massive menu includes:
- 1,000 hibiscus flowers
- 2,600-pound sculpted ice bar
- 100 pounds Snake River Farms 0/0 Gold Grade New York steak
- 125 pounds aged Vermont Cheddar cheese
- 250 pounds Parmesan Reggiano
- 100 pounds five-year aged white Cheddar
- 1,500 Yukon gold potatoes
- 35 pounds winter black truffles from Burgundy
- 1,000 pounds Pasturebird chicken
- 3,500 pieces housemade seeded lavash
- 5 gallons homemade pimento cheese
- 2,375 housemade pretzel bites
- 3,500 Fleur de Sel breadsticks
- 6,000 pieces mini brioche buns
- 4,500 pieces handmade “agnolotti” ravioli
- 3,000 pounds of hand-carved ice cubes
- 2,000 edible flowers
Mark Held, of MARK’S GARDEN®, is the exclusive florist for the 2018 Governors Ball. MARK’S GARDEN® is celebrated for innovative floral designs for large-scale events He will be preparing 5000 succulents with thousands of roses and ranunculus a week in advance. These flowers are from California, Holland, and South America. Keeping with the concept of reduce, reuse, and recycle the succulents and floral arrangements are going to be planted at the Motion Picture Television Fund following the event.
Sequoia Production is overseeing all the details. This company has produced 29 consecutive Governors Balls. The philosophy according to Cheryl Cecchetto is, “People celebrating life, that’s what it’s all about.”
The evening is a celebration that includes extensive cocktails, wine, and champagne. Francis Ford Coppola wine has produced an exclusive wine for the 90th Oscars® celebration. The red wine is a classic Alexander Valley Cabernet with black fruit berries. The white wine is a Chardonnay with aromatic notes of spiced pears, tangerine, honey, and hazelnut brioche. Each label is specific to this celebratory time. You can recreate the cocktails and non-alcoholic with the recipes by clicking the recipes links above and one is at the end of this article. The wine list includes 2014 Archimedes Cabernet Sauvignon. If you are serving this remember to start decanting several hours prior to serving.
There is not a celebration without champagne. This year as in years past it is Piper-Heidsieck that will be flowing throughout the evening. This limited edition is 60% Pinot Noir, 25% Pinot Meunier and 15% Chardonnay. It has notes of almond and fresh hazelnut accompany the precise ascent of bubbles. They will be pouring this at the ceremony as well as the Governors Ball.
The Governors Ball is committed to making sure that is they do not go to waste on memories, celebration, and trash. They are ensuring the following:
- Unused prepared food will be recovered to support our local community by Chefs to End Hunger, an organization established to create awareness, educate and offer ways to contribute to end hunger.
- Recycle plastics, metals, glass, paper and cardboard.
- Floral arrangements will be delivered to and planted at the Motion Picture & Television Fund residential community for the aging.
- Use energy efficient LEDs for event lighting.
- The plywood used in the design has been and will be repurposed.
- Carpet will be recycled into carpet padding.
- Service ware is reusable.
- All lighting, audio, rigging equipment and furniture are rentals and will be repurposed for future events.
- The event production office employs energy-saving practices.
The night is filled with exceptional food, decor, and memories. A few of the stats for the night include:
- 1,500 guests
- Team of 10 maitre d’ staff
- 850 service and support staff
- 13,000 glasses for beverages
- More than 4 miles of cabling to support
- 6,000 cocktail forks
- Lighting and video prep in ShowPro’s 100% solar powered, carbon-neutral facility.
The night includes The Protagonist, starring Tequila Don Julio Blanco, is the hero of the evening. The inspiration for the cocktail is a refreshing, complex, elegant and celebratory all wrapped up in one beautiful cocktail. The pure essence of the tequila lays the foundation for bright citrus, herbal botanicals and subtle floral notes. Each ingredient plays a special role, painting a complete and balanced picture to be enjoyed responsibly throughout the night.
Here is one last recipe that the celebrities will enjoy this evening:
1 1/2 ounces Tequila Don Julio Blanco
1/2 ounce Pimm’s The Original No. 1 Cup
3/4 ounce Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 ounce Simple Syrup
2 ounces Tonic Water
Sliced Cucumber and Borage Flowers for Garnish
1. Combine Don Julio Blanco, Pimm’s, lemon juice and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice. Gently shake and roll in tonic water.
2. Pour over fresh ice in a Collins glass.
3. Garnish: Wrap thin cucumber slice around inside of glass and top with borage flowers.
This evening is one of the most watched and celebrated in the world. Entertaining your own guest is a thrill. We would love to hear about your evening photos from the menu, planning tips, food, decor, and selfies. Please post your Oscar® party photos here using #OscarParty #4ChionStyle. Have a wonderful Oscar® evening!
The 90th Oscars®, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, will be held on Sunday, March 4, 2018, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network at 6:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. PT.
Follow us for all thing fashion, celebrity, and beauty. Connect Here:
FOLLOW THE ACADEMY® here:
Follow Wolfgang Puck here:
Connect with Sequioa Productions Here :